The Olive Hill Cemetery Association
Since 1933, the mission of the Olive Hill Cemetery Association has been:
- To maintain a historic burial ground in a park-like setting, governed as a voluntary, non-profit organization, with a commitment to preserve and honor the heritage of past generations and to provide a legacy for future generations.
- To act as a guardian of family and community heritage, traditions and values, to fulfill the founders’ vision of a beautifully landscaped living memorial, where the quality of caring, surpasses expectations and where families come to honor and celebrate life in a peaceful environment.
To ensure the business of the association is performed and monitored, and that the Perpetual Care Fund grows and produces the required operating funds.
Helen Bailey Carson gave a deed to the public for one acre of ground. No provision was made for fencing or maintenance. In substance this meant that anyone could make use of the cemetery. This practice was followed for about 40 years.
The Bethany Rescue Home (AKA The Home of Redeeming Love) had burial ground for the deceased babies of their unwed mothers. They were brought to Olive Hill for burial. Rufus Miner Bailey (acting as agent for the cemetery) gave permission for the home to use a small area of ground adjoining the lot on the northwest corner. Originally the area was fenced. There are about 40 babies buried on the cemetery property (lots 14 and 15).
Establishment of the Association
A local group became interested in incorporating the cemetery and appointed William Rosecrans, Harry Holloway, and Arthur (Wink) Carson as a temporary committee to accomplish it, specifically for the purpose of protection and maintenance. James M. Bailey donated the legal costs of incorporation (1933).
Walter Goodman was elected Chairman, Harry Holloway Vice-Chairman, and Fred Bailey, Secretary.
James Bailey donated the granite marker "OLIVE HILL CEMETERY". Fred Bailey donated the flagpole.
Elizabeth McKeage Bailey donated $1000 to initiate the cemetery maintenance fund. The oil and gas mineral royalties for the property provided additional funding (initially from the Gypsy Oil Company who purchased the lease in 1929, later from the estate of the subsequent owner Berta Bailey Lay). The cost of supplies for the original fencing was paid by the maintenance fund, but Carl and Kenneth Goodman; Virgil and Vernon McKinney; Buell Fletcher; and Fred Bailey donated labor.
James and Ralph Bailey surveyed the property and allocated/marked existing lots. All graves that were not marked by monuments were furnished a permanent marker (with cement base) at the expense of the association. The lot owners provided paved alleys and curbs around lots 32, 33, 34,35, and 44.
The policy of the association was to issue certificates of membership which grants only voting privileges in the determination of cemetery maintenance policy. No deeds were ever issued for any lots.
The officers of the association reserved the right to accept or reject any request for gravesite.